On Sunday, we slept in and decided to head to the small town of Bray, which is really close to Enniskerry. On the way there, I took these pictures, which really shows the beauty of Ireland as well as the lack of plowing following a decent snowfall. Still, it was a gorgeous winter wonderland!
Bray is on the Irish Sea and if you look across on a clear day, you can see England on the other side of the water. Since it was Sunday, most of the shops were closed, which really limited the shopping I had planned; still, we walked around, took pictures and ate lunch at a really delicious little restaurant with the nicest owner. He was Irish, but knew of North Carolina and even had a sister in Tennessee, so we talked to him, ate a yummy lunch and watched the people and dogs playing in the snow outside the window in a big park adjacent to the water. The owner kept telling us to come back and spend our American money in Ireland, since their economy is doing so poorly right now. We promised we would.
After lunch, we continued to walk and literally fell in love with this cute little town. The people were all so nice and the town had the quaint feeling that you don't normally get anywhere in the states.
We saw a World War I memorial dedication. It was beautiful with a dusting of snow on the stone memorial.
Since we couldn't really do too much in Bray, we called it an early afternoon and headed back to the Powerscourt to relax for the first time since we arrived in Ireland. We took a nap and then got up and headed back to the pub for a quick dinner and some drinks. While we were eating, I looked out and saw that it was snowing! I can't say what got into us; it could have been the snow, being on vacation, (or more like it), the alcohol, but after we left the pub, Jeff and I headed out to play in the snow. I am sure the other guests at the Ritz probably thought we were crazy, but we went running through the snow and walking around the grounds!
It was so much fun, but before too long, we were wet, cold and ready to go in. Plus, my butt was totally wet from running all over the place. Still, it was nice to just forget about all our problems and pretend to be a kid again.
Of all our days in Ireland, this was our most relaxed. It was great to just spend time with Jeff in such a romantic and amazing place.

























0 comments:
Post a Comment