Friday, August 5, 2011

Thursday- the Saint Louis Zoo and the Muny

On Thursday, the girls were planning to go to the Muny, a Saint Louis amphitheater that has a summer season of broadway shows.  Legally Blonde was playing the week we were there, so we decided to check it out.  But since it was not until later in the day, we decided to head into the city and check out the zoo. 

The zoo is free to the public (it is funded through taxpayer dollars) and thus is pretty popular.  The day we went, there were kids EVERYWHERE (kinda reminded me of Utah).  Still, we were just there to walk around and check the animals out, so we didn't mind.  I was excited to see the penguins; they are so close that you can almost touch them!  The first couple of shots were taken outside of the exhibit, as we were in line to get in.


Inside, the Emperor penguins were HUGE...literally, they can measure up to almost four feet tall.  Crazy, but I loved every moment of it...even the fact that it was extremely cold inside the exhibit.


The next picture is one that I got as a penguin dove under the water, so of course I got one of him looking at me from under the water...cool!


Outside the exhibit they also had some puffins on display...they are not as cool as penguins, but still pretty neat!


We also got great pictures of tons of other zoo animals...bears, elephants, pelicans, rhinos, gorillas, and cheetahs (oh my)!


We then headed to the butterfly dome.  This is a favorite spot for my mom, who absolutely adores butterflies.  You basically go into this enclosed dome and the butterflies are flying around; they often land near (or sometimes even on) you.  We got some amazing pictures in the dome.


I also took some amazing shots of the beautiful foliage around the zoo...it may have been the middle of summer in Saint Louis, but these flowers were gorgeous and in the most vibrant colors.


After we left the zoo, we met my aunt Mickey and my cousin Jamie at Imo's Pizza for dinner before the men headed back to the resort and the women met at the Muny.  Imo's pizza is different than any other pizza I have ever had (large pizza with no crust, cut into a ton of really small, rectangular pieces), but we had a nice time.  Then me and my mom went with Aunt Mickey and Jamie to the Muny, while the guys headed back in the rental car to play putt putt golf and drink beer.

The Muny was an awesome venue and the show was quite a production.  Being an amphitheater, it was outside, but the weather was beautiful and I even needed a jacket by the end of the show (thanks, Aunt Nettie, for giving up your jacket for me).  Not really being a fan of the Legally Blonde franchise, I was pretty impressed with the show.  It was funny, sad, and a love story all in one.  I only got a couple of pictures of the show, as I wasn't sure if photography was allowed during the show.  Still, I snuck a couple and figured  I would continue until I was told to stop.


By the time the show was over, it was after 10:30 pm and then it took at least another 45 minutes to get out of the parking lot and to the interstate.  Then, we still had an hour drive back to the resort.  I rode in the backseat of my aunts Suburban, with my cousins Emily and Jessica singing in the backseat.  Fun times!


0 comments: